Scientists from SINTEF are launching a brand new wiki-website that lists instruments and measures accessible to make hydropower extra fish-friendly. The mission attracts on the idea of environmental design, which integrates technical, financial, environmental and social features when growing or re-designing power initiatives.
– The target of the wiki is to enhance the situations for fish whereas preserving hydropower manufacturing, by presenting probably the most up-to-date measures and revolutionary instruments dropped at us by environmental design, says Bendik Torp Hansen, who leads the mission at SINTEF Power.
The wiki is a product of the EU-project FIThydro. Its predominant goal audiences are regulatory our bodies who wish to undertake new protecting measures, hydropower firms, consultants, stakeholders and scientists.
– Local weather change requires us to extend renewable power technology together with hydropower. We additionally want to make use of hydropower in a versatile method to combine wind and photo voltaic power, says SINTEF Power senior researcher Atle Harby.
– This should be achieved respecting nature, which implies we’d like environmental design. Environmental design is a technique that balances the wants of power manufacturing and the setting by combining information about hydropower, hydrology, expertise, economic system, biology and society, Atle Harby provides.
A one-stop store for all of the measures
– The wiki gathers all of the measures that may be adopted to make hydropower vegetation extra fish-friendly whereas sustaining and even rising electrical energy technology, says Bendik Torp Hansen. We assembled as a lot data as potential in a single place, and that hadn’t been achieved earlier than.
The wiki presents a catalog of mitigation measures that can be utilized to unravel challenges associated to environmental flows, habitat situations, sediment administration, and up- and downstream migration for fish. The wiki additionally supplies data on strategies, instruments and gadgets that can be utilized to plan, implement, monitor and preserve the measures.
– A stable information base is vital and obligatory to make sure steadiness between benefits and downsides of varied environmental mitigation measures in any given case. A information database corresponding to this wiki will contribute to that, says senior engineer Eilif Brodtkorb of the Norwegian Water Sources and Power Directorate (NVE).
Each measure is described with a classification desk that gives further data, corresponding to the kind of river it’s appropriate for, what species of fish it may assist, in addition to the maturity stage of the expertise. The price of each measure can also be listed, when the accessible information makes this potential.
– The wiki is open to everybody with a purpose to make our mission outcomes public, says Torp Hansen.
Resolution assist device
The FIThydro mission additionally created a choice assist system (DSS) which is linked to the wiki. Collectively, the DSS and the wiki assist customers to seek out potential and appropriate mitigation measures.
– The wiki can assist choice processes and contribute to simplifying communication and debate by giving customers a standard information base, says Torp Hansen. It’s a residing doc that may repeatedly be up to date by specialists with the latest expertise and analysis.